This week was on food. This is the crepe man whose stand I visit quite often. He always gets very excited to see me and asks how I am. He usually tries to guess which kind of crepe I want as well. He's been right a few times.
My Post:

My Post:
I walked down the Champs-Élysée with a German friend today who is visiting Paris. I told her about Ladurée and convinced her how necessary it would be to go eat macaroons that taste like sea foam sweetened by the finger of the gods. Our minds were changed when we saw the line basically puking all over the sidewalk. My German friend remarked how you would never see a bakery with a line that long in Germany, and I replied that maybe that's why macaroon's were invented in Paris, and not in Munich.
I have insufficient funds to build up a legitimate customer relationship with somewhere like Ladurée, but I consistently visit a crêpe stand right near my metro stop. The relationship started on my birthday, when I ordered egg, ham and cheese, and ate my first crêpe this visit to Paris. I have tried a couple of other stands since then, and somehow they have not lived up to this man on the corner. I have since been discouraged to try anyone else. While he cracks an egg, or cuts bananas, I look around awkwardly, counting my money out for the fourth time. He speaks a little bit of English, I answer him in sometimes almost smooth French. If I haven't been for a week or so, he asks if I have been on vacation, and I tell him the respective place.

I have even almost asked him what his name is a couple of times. Instead I take my food, the warmth seeping into my hands and my mouth, and through the traffic and people handing out flyers, I hear two words: à bientôt!










6 comments:
emma i LOVE this!!! and i found a new place for you to eat today here. love you!
Very cool Twookie! I'm jealous of the delicious crepes! Mmmmm!
I want a crepe SOOOO badly right now.
I love these pictures. When I was done looking at them I told my roommate one of my new life goals is to go eat a crepe in paris.
shoot. those are so beautiful. I think I will cry. or, I will just beg my roommate to make crepes again. I think the nutella is my favorite part.
You should ask his name next time, and then ask him to marry you.
Post a Comment