03 January 2010

weird things, exciting and smart things.



photo by Camilla Combs, used without permission...I found it on my computer when I was cleaning my desktop...this is in Dingle, Ireland.

one weird thing: I am wearing a watch. I haven't worn a watch consistently since I was in about seventh grade. I did not wear a watch last semester and basically relied on the metro to know what time it was. And when it was really necessary and I was somewhere other than the metro, I would ask strangers. It seems weird now that I can know what time it is any time I want. I have found myself looking at my watch all too often. We'll see how I feel about this whole watch thing in a few months. But, I decided that it is part of my new year's resolution to become a responsible adult. The two most prominent features of this being that I keep a clean room, and keep control of my finances.

one exciting thing: I should have written this on life time goals, but I've always wanted to have a flexible enough schedule to give up my ticket on a flight and get a free flight somewhere else. And it finally worked out! At first I thought I would be spending the night at a hotel and flying tomorrow morning, which would seem pretty awesome to have my own hotel room, but I got a later flight instead, which is less lonely. So I spent a lot of time in the Las Vegas airport, and had kind enough grandparents to come pick me up at 10:45 pm (thanks!) and now I am trying to figure out what to do with my now $244 of Southwest money! Yay! That means a trip to a wedding if someone gets engaged, or maybe I can go to Yosemite with my family, or maybe even visit a sis in DC or a basically sis in NY! the latter would require more amounts of money though...so that probably won't happen. But isn't that exciting?? I got to watch how seductive the Vegas Phantom of the Opera show is over and over, and I got to sit next to a weird lady who drank two cups of coffee with three packets of sugar and two packets of cream in each one, and drink water in between and did weird hand things. it was kind of scaring me.

one smart thing: with a lot of hours to kill at the airport, I figured out that I have taken almost 30 planes in the past year. That's a plane a day for a whole month if some of you can't do math--that's kind of a lot, right? I realized that getting a good night's rest before a flight really isn't that advantageous. Waiting at airports and in airplanes really sucks, so if you're fully conscious, the only advantage is that you can fully appreciate your sucky situation. Because you really don't need brainpower to do anything at airports, I've found it is nice to be in a kind of daze the whole traveling time. Then you sort of don't realize that time is passing because you're basically asleep on your feet, and then you don't really remember how much time you killed looking at pictures over and over and putting people's names on all of the pictures with the "names" application on iphoto... Plus it's way easier to sleep on the plane.

2 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

Visit me! Visit me Little!

And, your comment about it being easier to sleep on the plane? Not true. I slept TERRIBLY last night. And I'm thinking once 3:00 hits I'm going to be exhausted! Oh well!

Julie Wilding said...

I want to observe this clean room-keeping. You should keep a picture log. I tell people to this day about yours and Kelli's room in the dorms and how much stuff was fit in there.