12 January 2010

oh hey!

So I wrote my family's christmas letter this year, and I haven't hardly talked about the fam yet on this thing, so this could be a bit of an introduction. Also, I liked it, and a lot of you are not on my mother's christmas letter list. (Corrine, don't laugh at me. Laugh with me please. please.) Also, don't miss the pictures i posted in the post below just because this post is long.

Dear friend,

I sit in the bedchamber of my apartment, fourth floor, back right room, in the 11e arrondissement of Paris, composing this letter in response to the news I have received as of late in our family. After spending a significant amount of time in England, my friends have told me I have acquired a manner of speech similar to the Regency Era. Although I cannot hear it myself, I only know that my friends think so. The weather is presently quite dreadful, but I assure you that yesterday was indeed a charming day. As it was my last day in Paris, the sunny weather and blue skies were a pleasant surprise whilst I strolled for the last time near the river, telling myself I was silly, scarcely holding back tears. As I have related to you in previous correspondence, I have very much enjoyed living here for the duration of the season.

Although congratulations are in order for the reception of her driver's license, I must give my condolences to Rachel. While her license means to her that she is now free to roam around the relative area of Eugene, most prominent is the fact that she must now drive herself to each engagement and other errands, spending all too many hours watching the road, while before she could employ herself with other amusements whilst riding as a passenger. I also look forward to her performance as the Sugar Plum fairy in her youth ballet academy's performance of the Nutcracker. I have often remarked at the gracefulness of her feet and the easiness of her smile.

And Lauren, how I long to see her. Why, it was only the other night when I corresponded with her and we spoke of both our homecomings. Can you believe it was just this last Spring that she completed her studies at the university? And we were all so thrilled at her accomplishment, although I must say the commencement ceremony was rather dull, but charming, nevertheless. And now how inconvenient that she lives in Washington, D.C. But I suppose if she says it suits her, then it is for the best. I daresay she may live there for quite a while, seeming to enjoy its diversions and company. I suppose I shall just have to devise a way to visit.

It is strange to think that Cami is just a few hundred miles north of me, enduring few hours of daylight this season in Finland. How she does work so very hard as a missionary there. Why, she has been there a full six months! I am delighted to hear that she continues to work on her proficiency at the guitar, and has been to such exotic places as the North Pole. How I am excessively diverted by her stories of teaching, meditation and service.

I do believe Jess and I stand on opposite sides of the world. How very strange, really. I fancy she is amusing herself and everyone in the vicinity whilst she rides her bike in water reaching her thighs. Fancy opening your door to a missionary and seeing them drenched from head to foot? But I dare say the exotic Malaysians are quite accustomed to such attire. Although I do miss her dreadfully, it is nearly four months until her return, which brings comfort to my poor mother. Jess seems to be working tirelessly and has become quite attached to the Malaysians.

I am glad to hear my mother has once again taken up the post of seminary teacher for these few years. Her nights are cut short as she prepares lessons and teaches those dear high school children. I can't wait to accompany her on her promenades about the hills and trees with dearest Ellie, our lovable canine companion these past two years. Why, it was only last summer when we went on runs on Prince Edward Island with father, Lauren, and Rachel as well. What a charming trip that was. I think of it quite often.

Father continues to be busy, so I hear. Although he does seem to invent time to idle around the golf course on occasion, between working and being the dearest of fathers. When I was lately in London as part of my stay in Paris, he and my mother accompanied me to the countryside, where we enjoyed lovely strolls and tea with clotted cream and scones. I cannot remember a more pleasant time, nor a place I would rather be.

The hour is half gone! I must away to the airport. I await the Christmas season, which I trust will be very enjoyable although it will be quite some time before a reunion with each family member. I am glad to hear of those we have been able to form more intimate acquaintances with, as well as those with whom we have just met. I await your reply, but until then, I bid you a Happy Christmas. Or as the French say it, Joyeux Noël!

Emma

2 comments:

Megan said...

haha emma. be an author, please. the whole time i was reading i was picturing you reading it to me in your english accent. also--love the pictures!!!!!! duh

Brady and Jane said...

i like you. a lot.