30 November 2009

salt lake parents.


Kent looking for a place to eat. Pam and I waiting for the verdict.

I can't remember, but I think the first time I met Kent and Pam, it was the fall of 2008 and we were at Jane's house--their house. I can't quite remember why. But I do remember that Pam ended up telling us stories in high school when Jane was low, and she gave me a couple of snickers candy bars for emergencies. I took these candy bars very seriously, and when Jane slept through classes whether on purpose or not, I would throw these chocolates at her, yelling, "Jane! Are you low?!" and some of the time she was, but sometimes she wasn't. Either way she said she wasn't low, so I just assumed she was low at all times unless she had just eaten. I was very angry to come back to the apartment one day and see that the plastic bag I had put the snickers in and labeled "for emergency use only" was gone. Along with the chocolate. Jane had gotten hungry.

Anyway. Jane's parents were in Paris this last week, where I took them to some of my favorite places.

surprise surprise...where did we end up, and what did we end up drinking. Kent doesn't even like hot chocolate that much, but he still drank some. And Pam and I finished off his portion.

h-core travelers.


We sat and talked about a lot a lot of different things, and we all got mad together at someone who I am irritated with, and we talked about relationships, and about that one time last winter when Pam promised Jane something if she did something, and then when I did that same something, that weekend I was at Pam and Kent's house and I was having a breakdown and I was feeling numb and Pam just talked and I listened while I sat at the kitchen bar and Jane and I exchanged lots of smiles while Pam cooked some onions that sizzled, and I watched them get clearer while I told her about another friend of mine who was struggling with other issues and she told me her experience with those issues. But the main point is that I could just forget, try to open my eyes wide enough to make a well for my tears to stay in, to try not to make my voice shake, I could just drink in all of the emotion, all of the experiences she had had, and nod my head, wanting to stay in that warm, red kitchen in Salt Lake where we were making pizza and never go back to my cold, white apartment where all I had to eat were eggs and cereal. And Kent would chime in from the table.

We did that again here in Paris, the topics jumping all over the place, but I talked as well, and we talked about Europe, and they both liked talking to people who were here, people who spoke English, why they were here, what they were doing, and we talked about Jane and ate, and ate some more, and Kent was calm, very calm as we shopped and as we ate, and polite and kind and easy. On friday when I was waiting for the RER, I got a phone call, and I heard Kent's voice saying "Bonjour!" to me, and I listened to his calm, friendly voice asking where I was, what I had done that day. I remembered when we went to the Orangerie and the Cluny Museum and he listened to my unoriginal ideas that came from sitting in those places for a long time, and when he waited for us while we shopped, or even waited in line to pay for something while we went across the street to another shop. We talked about where we would meet to go get lunch, and that Pam was currently shopping and then they would head to the Saint-Chapelle where I would meet them, and he told me he would pay for lunch. Such a sweet man.

Don't look at my face please.


I am skyping my mother, and she just said: "Emma, do you think anyone really cares about your blog?"

My mother. The one who birthed me. Who has given me my life and that is the last time I am ever mentioning her in my blog again.

11 comments:

Leslie said...

I care about your blog! I CARE!

Julie Wilding said...

I care about your blog too. Tell your mom.

Lauren Kay said...

Little! You just made our mom look bad.

And the thing is, I've wondered the same thing about my own blog. Does anyone even care that I wrote about this or that? Usually people don't really care. If you didn't have a blog they wouldn't think twice about it. BUT, since you do have a blog, and people read it then they do care, but in general, people are selfish and wrapped up in their own world. There are some blogs I used to read but when they became private I stopped reading (because they don't pop up on my google reader) and now I only look every few months if they're lucky.

So, I think you owe Mother a little apology. You went on and on about how great Jane's mom is and then dis ours. I'd feel sad if I was Mother...

Just sayin'...

And, I like your blog. Yes, it makes me want to kill you sometimes because you eloquently write and describe your fabulous adventures, but I like staying up to date on what's going on and I'm so glad you're my cutie cutie little. Love you Little! Thanks for deciding your blog was worth it again!

Lauren Kay said...

And I hear that St. Nikolaus is sending you coal this year...

Brittany said...

I've only met them once....but I remember laughing and laughing. Also, I remember that red kitchen too. Lovely place. Lovely people. You all look good in Paris.

p.s. Dear Emma's mom,

I care about Emma's blog too.

Love,
Brittany

Megan said...

hahaha KATHRYN! of course i care about your blog. it's only the highlight of my everyday... buuut i do ask myself the same thing about mine, sooo the woman has a point.

Troy said...

Well Emma, since I won't be mentioned again on your blog, I guess I'll have to put my own name in myself!

What a relief to discover that so many people care about your blog! I never doubted it really. I was just asking you, Does anyone else, besides a parent, care about your blog? Trying to be funny I guess. But I'd like to thank all of Emma's readers who keep up on her life! After all, she is my favorite daughter living in France.

Your Loving Mother.

Troy said...

Thank you Megan!

Brady and Jane said...

Okay, SO. A. My mother has all new clothes. B. I can't believe you were together. C. I look at your blog everyday. D. I think sometimes a blog is also just for yourself to get your thoughts down. E. I love your mother. F. I love you. G. I can't believe you were together. H. Hilarious that you talked about said person bothering us. haha. I. Emma does love her parents, she calls them mommy and daddy, there is no better term of endearment. J. So cute.

Brady and Jane said...

K. I want to try that hot chocolate. L. Since when does my mom wear hats like that? M. My dad takes a long time choosing restaurants. N. DId you walk around with your camera out? O. Remember how I read your blog everyday? P. In Jerusalem the internet connection sucks, and videos sometimes don't work. Q. Your last post you posted a video, and it didn't work. Everyday I have looked back and been disappointed there wasn't anything new. R. I stomped today. S. Kind of like Stomp the yard. T. But worse. U. Just kidding, totally better. I was thuggin. V. you're beautiful. W. Your camera takes really good pictures. X. Does your art history final deal with photos? It should, you'd get an A. Y. But I know you'll get an A anyways. Z. I love you.

Pamela Nelson said...

Of course I care about your blog because I couldn't wait to see, taste, feel and hear what you capture with your words and photos. And yes, the hot chocolate was as good, if not better, than indicated, your favorite museums became my favorites, we will have matching pillows on couches and Paris is magic. Thanks for sharing time with us, showing us around and letting the world (that reads your blog) see my funny hat. Sorry Jane. Remember Emma, mom's keep their kids on their toes and their feet on earth.
I loved being a SLC mom for a few days.