16 September 2009



This was the final choice (ps click on it to get the whole view). Katie is the only one who won! Good job Katie. And Lauren, I wish this one would have had the puff of smoke, but alas. It did not. And this is the one that fitted what I wanted to write about more. And Cami (ultimate authority) said she liked this one the best. Here is the photo and essay I wrote about it...we'll see if I followed the assignment. Don't make fun of me trying to be artsy and photography-ish and everything.

If I had it my way, I would give you more pictures to put this one in context. But I will do it with words. While walking on the Champs Élysée, I saw a whole line of former soldiers holding English flags and French flags. They were waiting to march up to L'Arc de Triomphe. As I took pictures, I noticed the three men in the left side of the picture, who were relaxed, and simply talking to one another as if they were strolling in their native English countryside. As I looked closer at them, each had medals hanging on their coats. I imagined the heroic acts they had performed in battle, bringing Lady Liberty to victory, just as the relief on L'Arc de Triomphe on the top right. But unlike those timeless soldiers, frozen forever in stone, I was looking at living, breathing soldiers. Old soldiers, yes, but soldiers who were alive. I think sometimes we tend to believe that being a hero, living so that you are remembered forever, so you are immortally more beautiful and perhaps more courageous than you ever were, is the ultimate way to be remembered. I think sometimes we get caught up in trying to be famous, trying to leave our mark on the world; that mark then becomes who we are, our identity. Soldiers, politicians, poets, writers, musicians become something so amazing that we place them above being a human. Instead they are beautifully manipulated stone. It is even more wonderful and beautiful to realize that the people who are heroes and geniuses, who have done all of these great things, really are men and women. The men in this photo have worn faces and crinkly eyes, and the man with a pipe has a cane on his left arm. They are really living and breathing, and worthy, I'm sure, of the honors they receive, because they are the ones who performed those deeds in the past. Not stagnant marble. And now, they stand and are balding, and like to smoke pipes, and find it strange that a twenty year-old girl is taking pictures of them.

I also like the way the bus was stopped as I took this picture, and the ad reinforces this idea of eternally frozen, versus real life. The different ways all of the men in this picture are looking also helps to keep the viewers eye moving. This is the type of picture that the more I look at it, the more I like it, trying to catch something in each of the three pairs of eyes looking toward my camera. The man half cut-off on the left also makes the viewer feel as if they are right on the Champs-Élysée, a part of the crowd, and also peaking into each of the groups of people.

5 comments:

Brittany said...

dear emma,

you picked the right one.
i love that you are in paris.
and i like you in general.

love,
britt

Lauren Kay said...

I liked all your pictures but for different reasons. And I liked the one you chose because the guy is looking right at you. And the middle guy has a great profile, and is talking to the guy next to him. I kind of wish the poster of the girls in the back wasn't there, but then I thought that it gives a good juxtaposition of the time period. Good picture, and I guess if CamiC (can't quite write Cami without thinking of sister Cami) says to do it then you do it.

Emma said...

i know lauren, to be honest, i wish that bus wasn't there either, but i had to talk about it in the essay, or someone would point it out. thanks for your comments! man, i didn't get the word juxtaposition in my essay.

and brittany, i like you in generals, and specifics. and i like that you are in provo.

katie said...

Yay! I really do like that picture. And those gentlemen certainly look like pleasant chaps.

Bentley Snow said...

Emma,

As you can tell, I did want to read your post. I liked it. I have had several ideas bouncing around in my head lately, that perhaps are simply different angles on the same core idea, which you and your post (I keep writing "poast") have pushed further: "I better try living for people or I may never live." Workin on it. Maybe I'll start reading blogs more; that seems a good place to start. Nice pics too.

also, the pic brought back a fond memory of a best friend and I jaywalking (or jaysprinting-for-the-love-of-our-dear-and-endangered-lives) across the 14 lanes or whatever it was to get to the arch. We didn't see til after there was a tunnel. haha. We had been pretty impressed with the ladies who had made it over there with strollers. Also, there was a miraculous break in traffic like unto the Red Sea which will be parting upon our arrival that fortuitously coincided with my friend and I's jaysprinting.

Enough.

I'm glad you love Paris.

Bentley

L'Arc de Triomphe