27 September 2009

Dear children of my future self,









These are the pillow cases that you will be taking a nap on when I come into the living room and you will look so cute, but I have to tell you to stop drooling on my pillowcases, and that these pillows are not for sleeping and I will explain to you as I go to your bedroom to get your pillow, that I bought these 10-15 years ago while I was in France. 10-15 years ago will mean nothing to you, and you won't understand why I would have pillows that are not for sleeping, and why it's such a big deal that there is a small drool spot on the pillow, because it will dry. Then later, I will come into the living room and tell you to stop hitting your sister/brother with the pillows, and that they are not for hitting either. A while later, perhaps you will be at school, or maybe you will be watching Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (I am not making this up) and you will recognize one of these tapestries (Gryffindor common room decorations are the red tapestries.) and tell all of your friends insistently that you have those tapestries at home! Then your teacher will look really confused, and when your friends come over to play, you'll show them where the Harry Potter decorators got the design. And then we will go to France and to the Cluny Museum and see La Dame à la Licorne Tapestry, and to Bayeux to see the Bayeux Tapestry, and I will show you the little store that I went to to buy those pillows I made such a big fuss about.

Perhaps by then, I will need a few replacements.

4 comments:

Camilla Combs said...

this was the BEST day BY FAR that you have had in paris!! im sure you'd agree. well done emma, well done. xoxoxo


ps if youre children dont appreciate these marvelous tapestries they obvi have no sense of culture. imbeciles.

Brady and Jane said...

then you'll ask your mom to play with my kids, because i will have come to visit you in oregon, then we will go on a trip together. our families will be in love, because i love you.

Lanée Jensen said...

Well well, look who's waxing maternal. . .

Dani said...

You're future children better love all the things you are getting for them on this study abroad! I totally agree with Cami. Somehow, though I don't think you're going to raise non-culture-appreciating-imbeciles. But hey, weirder things have happened. We'll just have to see who your future husband ends up being. ;)