26 April 2009

A Beginning

It is 12:57 and in exactly 12 hours and 43 minutes, I will be on a plane to Edinburgh. Well, technically Chicago, but on my way to Edinburgh. This blog has lain dormant for so long that I thought a study abroad may be motivation enough for its resurrection. I will be spending the next two months of my life mostly in Scotland, England and Wales studying literature on the England and Literature study abroad program. (Yes Lanée. English Literature.)

No I am not going on the London Study Abroad. No, I'm not staying in the London center. If I were going on the London Study Abroad program, I would have said that in the first place. I am going to Britain. We are spending only ten days in London. Instead, we are spending the majority of our time out in the country. We are staying in hostels. Yes, those sketchy places that I probably will have everything I have ever owned stolen from me if I don't sleep with my suitcase in my bunk. No, I probably don't know your friend going, because there are about a million study abroads to England. No, I will not wear one of those fanny packs under your clothes to keep my passport and wallet in. And yes, please email me. I would love that.

I will be seeing places like this soon:
Doing things like this soon:


and embarrassing myself at places like this soon:



I am very excited to see these beautiful places, spend time in a culture that has influenced my own so much, hopefully cast aside my preoccupation with not being a tourist, and probably once again learn that I am, in fact, an idiot and have a lot that I need to learn.

6 comments:

Lauren Kay said...

Yay! BLOG!

Crave said...

Not an idiot. But you're whole life, you'll much to learn.

Emma I look forward to reading your blog. Your writing - even about observant nothings - is powerful and fun to read. Be safe, and have fun!

Julie Wilding said...

Uh, I vote YES YES YES on the continuation of this blog.

Emma said...

crave: thanks!

however, i really think you need to learn how to use contractions.

Lanée Jensen said...

Thanks for pointing out that kid's grammatical errors Emma, because I think we both know that if you hadn't, I would have. Also thanks for putting the accent on my name, and answering all of my questions/objections throughout. Also, I am jealous. Also, ummmm, also.

Carly April said...

first of all, i should have been made aware of this blog resurrection. second of all, good job using the accent mark on your friend's name... that is some impressive blogmanship! third of all, i totally know what you mean with conceding to being a tourist in a place where you are, in fact, a tourist. nothing's worse than standing at a corner in New York City where people push and shove in order to seem as new-yorker-ish as possible, holding a huge map and looking in every direction with a look of bewilderment across your face... not that I've done that, of course, it's all hypothetical. so embarrassing.