05 July 2009

Signs in England

I talked to my mom on the phone while I was in London, and she told me how funny she thought the "mind the gap" signs are on the London Underground. Please read it in a cool announcer-type woman's voice with a British accent.

Here are signs in Britain, Italy and Ireland I thought were funny:

This is a poster that encourages owners to keep their dogs out of pastures they shouldn't be in around Loch Lomond. It's not funny until you read the smaller print:

Hmm.

yes, the grass is very diverting.

look at the sign. not my face. thanks rachel ashby for not suggesting in the slightest that i may want to take another picture.

ha.

just like chickens.

oh...cute.

"sheep worrying" means anything that may make the sheep start running away from you. sheep are serious business here.

the first sentence. it's only funny if you read "conservation" with wrong like I did so it reads "conversation." so typically British! I thought when I took the picture. Then the more I laughed, the more I realized how stupid I was.

If you can't read that sign, it says "bumping stone: used in the initiation of new choristers." Yes, that dent to the right of the sign is used to initiate new choristers by pounding their heads into that solid stone. Okay, not pounding, more like politely shoving. Centuries later, there is a dip.

Don't be shy. Dominate those railings.

5 comments:

Rachel said...

Dear Emma.

Was I the one who took the Harry Potter picture? I don't remember...anyway, sorry if I didn't suggest to take another one. The little camera screens are small sometimes... :)

Love Rachel

P.S. I miss you.

Ewa said...

Emma, have you seen the sign that says "watch out.old people"? that's my favourite one :)

Katy said...

I am laughing at myself because I had to reread the last one a couple times before I got it. Um, haha? Yikes.

wsb said...

dangit.
I thought it said conversation the first time I read it.

Crave said...

hahaha, yet another reason to love the British.

and note: i also read it conversation.